Re: IP in the Windows registry

From: Dave Houghton (mulinux@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 20:05:03 CET

22/11/2002 19:44:52, Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it> wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 05:35:02PM -0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:
>> 22/11/2002 17:24:14, Dave Houghton <mulinux@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >I've still got the passwd dll problem and thus no sshd login but I think I've solved that if I can get the
>> >netapi32.dll source. It would appear that the NetApiBufferFree function was not compiled into the dll.
>
>After a little exploration in Internet, I found many post about this
>problem. The solution posted is "passwd do not works in win98. Upgrade to NT"

Been there, read the same

>I found that:
>
> win98/me uses command.com
> winxp users cmd.exe
>
>I now use this discrimination in order to disable passwd in win98.
>
>But still I have no way to set the password for win98.
>My attempt now is to compile a short passwd.c under cygwin, in order
>to update /etc/passwd correctly.

I had thought of copying my Linux passwd file over as a temporary test but I'm using shadow password so
that won't work . Could be that the passwd.c is the only option left as we're both running out of ideas.

>On the other hand, I only wish to have an sshd working!

Same here, but if your original goal is fulfilled i.e ssh access to your friends remote machine, then why carry
on. Is it now a matter of 'this thing is not going to beat me?? ' :-))

Dave