Re: Experimenting with Windows Installers

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 21:39:56 CET

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 06:45:21PM -0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:

> There is a problem with the cygwin sshd however. This is common to all sshd as far as I know. If the
> password for a user is blank then sshd will not allow ssh login. I had the same problem under Linux as well.

Indeed, this is the problem I noticed with my Win98.
The installer export in the cygwin system an user with no password.

> No (or blank) user password and you can't login. Use passwd to set a password for the same user and
> everything is fine. I'm not sure if this is because ssh/sshd are using shadowpassword rather than plain
> /etc/passwd file ????????.

There is no "passwd" command in my rustic-shell, since now

> Basically mkpasswd.exe when it is called from /etc/configure.sh (called from configure.bat) isn't picking up
> the windows password for the user logged in under windows. The password field in /etc/passwd remains
> blank. So blank password=no sshd login.

I noticed that only with win98. With WinXP and Win ME (report from another
user) the password fetching is ok.

I also found a bug relative to scp: this command requires ssh1, in order
to be used. But there is no ssh1 in rustic-shell.
I'm adding it now.

Another improvement I wish to add is that (let me know your opinion).
This feature is important in order to use RS with my friend in Sardinia.
After he actived sshd on its win/Me machine, it has to communicate me
its current ip address.

In order to solve this problem, this is my plan:

1) the sshd.bat (called by windows) should call the "ipconfig" Windows command

                ipconfig > etc/ip

2) after that, the sshd.sh (called by linux) fetch the ip from /etc/ip, and
send it via email to a list of users, stored in the file c:\rs\notify.ip.

In this way, when my friend activate sshd, I will receive an email with
its current ip. So, I can connect to him.

Alternative: the sshd.sh a sort of ip.html page, via curl, to
my home server.

Michele

--
"Physics is like sex: it may give some practical
results, but that's not why we do it"  (Richard Feynman)