Re: The Future (was Re: The new homesite, beta)

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer (khz@kde.org)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 18:23:30 CEST

On Sunday 13 October 2002 18:06, Michele Andreoli wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 05:34:27PM +0200, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> > > But, from the strategical point of view, my contribution to
> > > Free Software is nearing to its end.
> >
> > Michele,
> > what do you mean by this last sentence?
>
> The truth. Currently, my contribution to free software is near
> to nothing.
>
> In this stage, I'm in a "receptive" status: I install and test programs
> written by other; I read HOWTOs, and realize some little experiment
> from my own.
> I'm stunned by the huge amount of news about Linux and I'm not able
> to absorb everything.
>
> For example: I like to understand about Video formats, so I test
> and use Linux programs for Mpeg, DivX, DVD ripping, etc.

But that's not all you are doing: Additionally you are maintaining muLinux.

The fact that this maintainance is not sooo time consuming at the moment
does not care that it does not exist.

When people ask for help on the muLinux list you are there to assist them
and when people send add-ons you look at them and include them into the
mini distro if they are correct...

All this is maintainance, so IMHO contributing to Free Software does not
neccessarily mean 'write new code' but can also mean what you are doing
at the moment.

OK, my question was answered - I was afraid you want to stop maintaining
muLinux completely, that's why I asked.

Cheers
Karl-Heinz

--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>