Re: Stop the screen from blanking

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 15:43:13 CEST

Cenobyte wrote:

> > In X, try 'xset s off'.
> > In a console, try 'setterm -blank 0'.
> > Or if it's your bios doing it, you have to unset it there.

> None of these commands are available in mulinux,near as I can tell.

Sorry, I didn't have a mulinux machine handy. But a quick google search
for setterm has turned up
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/thc/dox/blanking_disable.txt, which
says:

----------------------
Disabling screen blanking in LRP is very easy. In most Linux
distributions, you can use the 'setterm' command, but that would waste
some 18k on an LRP disk; so, instead, you should skip the middle man and
issue an equivalent command to what setterm would do for you anyway:

echo -n -e "\033[9;0]"

Put that command in any of your boot scripts and you're all set.

Thanks to Giulio Orsero and Ian Scott for the answer to this age-old
question.

So that looks worth a try, and more in the mulinux spirit too. If it
doesn't work, I guess you'll have to grab setterm off an old (i.e.,
libc5 based) redhat/debian/slackware/etc distribution.

Stephen Isard