Re: PLIP & Samba

From: Sebastian Leske (sleske@enterprise.mathematik.uni-essen.de)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 23:53:06 CET

Hi,

> I've conected a Win95+Mulinux Pentium (pc586) and a
> Wfw3.11+Mulinux 486-33 (pc486) via parallel port. I've
> installed plip, Samba, smbd and cdrom support on
> pc586.
>
> Purposes: share pc586 CD-ROM drive (with samba or
> similar) and access it from pc486 Wfw3.11
>
> HOWTO:
> - Know if samba is working properly
> - Know if plip is working properly. Is there a
> /dev/plip0 device or similar?
> - do it work ;)

Errm, I'm afraid I don't quite understand. Is this
a) a report of success (i.e. did you manage to get it to work)?
Or
b) are you asking how to do it?

If a) applies, please post detailed information on how you did it, I'm
sure many on the list will be interested.

If b), I'm afraid the answer is: it won't work. There is no standard
protocol for sending data via the parallel port, and the protocols that
the Linux plip driver uses is incompatible with the one that Windows
uses; so the two cannot talk to each other, much less dance Samba
together ;-) (i.e. do filesharing) (also see the PLIP Mini-HOWTO,
sections 9 and 10). All this _is_ possible via ethernet, because the
ethernet protocol is standardized and shared between Linux and Windows.
(This is just what I know; there may be a way to make it work, but I
don't know any, and I doubt there is one...)

Greetings,

Sebastian Leske

P.S. Note that you _can_ make DOS and Linux talk to each other via the
parport; for the DOS side a special program is needed though. See the
PLIP Mini-HOWTO (available at Linuxdoc, http://www.linuxdoc.org ) for
details.