Re: Termcap and lilo

From: Sebastian Leske (sleske@enterprise.mathematik.uni-essen.de)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 17:07:10 CEST

Hi,

> > > Is there any termcap-entry just like "linux", but without color?
> > > (The screen can handle graphics, and I can run x-windows without
> > > any trouble.)
> >
> > If you has access to another linux, you can put your own terminfo.
> > I do not know what is the best for you.
>
> Ok, I tried that, and it didn't work. I copied the termcap of my
> Redhat 7.1, and it gave me som problems.
>
> When i booted mu, I got a message: "Termcap entry to long" (just
> after log-on).

Hey, are you maybe misunderstanding something?
* termcap *
and
* terminfo *
are two _separate_, _independent_ systems!
They do serve (mostly) the same purpose, telling programs what the
terminal (screen) can do, but they are distinct.
Termcap is old, few programs use it nowadays. Most modern programs
(particularly mc) use the (n)curses library, and that in turn uses
terminfo.
So you very likely want to copy the *terminfo* entry, not the termcap
entry.
Terminfo entries, as I mentioned in my last post, are separate files
(one per entry) and usually live in /usr/share/terminfo/ .

It may be that muLinux still uses termcap, though, in that case you
might actually need the termcap entries. That, however, is unlike the
way most other distros do it.

> I tried anyway, and found that "less" was a good way to test things,
> when i set TERM to "linux-m" and ran less, it said "linux-m not
> found" (it's in there, I checked). And when i set it to "linux" it
> was found, but gave segmentation-fault and locked the console.

Well, that happen because less uses terminfo, hence it wants a
terminfo entry named 'linux-m', and disregards a termcap entry.

Greetings,

Sebastian