Re: Help with installation

From: Trevor Sansom (trevor_sansom_uk@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 23:23:22 CEST

 --- Andrew Criswell <andy@arcriswell.com> wrote: >
Hello All:

> I have a DEC 486SX with 8MB ram and 40 MB hard
> drive. Mulinux seems to be the obvious solution.
>
> My computer is now formatted as EXT2 with linux swap
> drive.
>
> I can successfully load the BOOT+USR flopy disk. But
> when I proceed to the next disk, loading stops
> around 22%. How come? Run out of memory, I suspect.
>
> Ultimately, I would like to "clone" the floppies
> onto my hard drive. I have tried to do so with only
> BOOT+USR but the installation aborts because it
> cannot find LILO. Of course, LILO is on the WKS
> floppy which cannnot be loaded because of the 22%
> constraint.
>
> Why 22? Perhaps it suggest a "Catch 22".
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> ANDREW
>
> Andrew Criswell
> Professor
> Graduate School, Bangkok University

Andrew

I had a lot of trouble loading extra discs with
mulinux & discovered, by trial & much error, that the
floppies had to be made in a similar fashion to the
boot disc. I could'nt follow any of the docs to easily
& ended up checking the DOS batch files & hacking
away.

Please let me know if I can help any further. I did
get it running from the hard disc on a 486 25DX with
no cd, 500Mb HD & 20Mb ram & also on my desktop 200MMX
machine. It was a while ago & I've been messing with
other distros since. You could always check out the
really small distros HAL91 runs off a single floppy
pretty well.

Trevor Sansom