Re: How to install StarOffice in muLinux ?

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer (khz@kde.org)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 16:38:59 CEST

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 04:08 pm, GowriSankar Narayanaswamy wrote:

> > I can .. may or may not be feasible for you:
> > 1) Buy more RAM....

> We are planning to give it to somebody outside. so the company may
> NOT accept to add something more to existing setup.
..
> > Yes, very much so. LaTeX ..
>
> since it is going to be given outside, we thought it will be better
> to have something similar to Word, Excel. We did not think about
> making the receiver to do a learning.

Dear GowriSankar,

this is the point where you should _give_up_.

Sorry, but it is the truth.

Please see:

   1. You will _not_ put more RAM into these machines.

   2. You _want_ to have something similiar to Word and Excel.

Sorry for this but the only solution will be: Put an old Windows version
on the machines (e.g. Win 3.11) and try to run old versions of Word and
Excel on them.

The _only_ way to get a Linux based solution with something _similiar_
to Word and Excel would be to change your mind: put ~ 64 MB RAM in the
machines and run StarOffice.

But - to be honest - I still hope you come to the conclusion that giving
them good, solid _TeX_ boxes will be a good choice: by starting with LxY
people could have a comfortable access to the LaTeX world and sooner or
later they would dig deeper into the LaTeX concepts...

Karl-Heinz

--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>