Re: Flite addon

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 15:36:22 CEST

Juan Ramon Jimenez wrote:

> we need to put in
> the device a synthesis system to use with the Sound Blaster.

You might want to have a look at the mbrola project
http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola.html

It doesn't do all the things that Festival does - I don't know the
details of flite - but the programs are a lot smaller if it does what
you need. It has been popular with the blinux (blind linux users)
community for some time, and you can get voices in lots of different
languages.

I know of several possible problems:

1) The web page doesn't seem to be working today :-( I'm hoping that's
temporary.

2) The source isn't free.

3) There was no libc5 binary the last time I checked so it won't run in
a standard mulinux system. I wrote to them a couple of months ago
asking if they could make a libc5 binary for systems like mulinux, and
if fact offering to do the compilation myself if they didn't have a
libc5 environment. I got a "when we get around to it, we're very busy"
kind of answer. I'll try chasing them up. Maybe if you write too, it
will help convince them that there is public demand.

Stephen Isard