Re: (OT)Re: pc2pc unix-tips.eng

From: Bob Romprey (zoot@farts.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 08:44:07 CEST

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Well from what I've been reading they're trying to push legislation making the possession of "hackers tools" a criminal offense......
Also included in this bill will be publishing any security holes or exploit info....
With netcat being predominantly a "port scanner" it falls right dead center in the middle of the bills definition of "hackers tools".
This legislation hasn't been passed yet, but with the way things go here in the US if it doesn't pass it'll just get added as a "twentyfifth page addon" to the newest latest greatest "protect our children" bill

But as for me I'll give up my netcat when they pull it from my cold dead fingers*grin*