Re: The Opera browser

From: mek@antenna.nl
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 14:59:30 CEST

> Opera is not open-source, stop. muLinux is published under GPL and uses
> many free software, from variuous authors. I can help free developing only
> diffusing free software. It is free software that make possible muLinux,
> not software as Opera.

very good point. stop.
but i wonder how open netscape3 is. or wasn't that the version which was opened
up for mozilla?

anyway about your comments from yesterday about opensource-developpers and
optimization. and don't agree (luckily;-)) on your statement. let me just answer
it in a few words.
it is a matter of what your goals are. if it is the goal of a project to create
a wellperforming lightweight-browser, then people get fanatic with cutting out
code. it's just a matter of passion. don't you think it can be a passion on
optimizing? i think so. some people even cannot understand why some programmers
have passion to write kernels. i don't see the problem here.

but OK, when you are talking about the dirty programmers work, which nobody
wants to do (even if it's not very clear to me what kind of work that is) then
you still have the payed opensource programmers who will do that.
it's the collaboration some companies see (and benefit) in
opensource/freesoftware as a plus.

just my 2 lire

mek