Re: Commercializing muLinux? (was: Starting with muLinux)

From: olea@hispafuentes.com
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 11:43:42 CEST

Michele Andreoli escribió:

> I have no pregiudicial attitude agains commercial products, because
> I strongly think that "commercial" do not means necessary "Microsoft",
> or I'm wrong?
>
> But the problem is real one, because GPL do not allow this mix. I do
> not know if this is a limitation, or an exential component of the GPL
> phylosophy. Someone think this is unnecessary limitation.

The GPL restriction is on mixing code or linking code. That don't will
be the case because the non free app is a complete separate one from
other vendor. It can be packaged as a muLinux separated addon without
troubles with other addons filled with completely free apps.

> [...]
> But your software surely implicitly call X, or call the shell, or
> finally uses kernel's system-call, etc, etc. so: how we can stop
> the recursion?

That's not a problem. The proof are all gnu/linux distros (and the bsd
ones). Packaging is not a problem if licenses are respected.

> > BTW, is an habit for this project to do this kind of interrogatory?
>
> An interview is the minimum you can expect on a Linux mailinglist:

Sure. But this one sounded a bit rude. Sorry if I'm wrong.

--
	A.Ismael Olea González
	tlf 914 575 330