Re: need help on vi

From: Albrecht Kleine (kleine@ak.sax.de)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 09:28:54 CEST

Hi Michele,

> > BTW next days I'll release a bugfix (e3-1.5). David Douthitt
> > has pointed out some bugs related to e3's vi emulation.
> > As usual you get an announce on this list as soon I'm ready.
> >

> Hello Albrecht,
>
> what stream editor actually E3 does call: sed or ex?
> I regret having suggested you to substitute sed with ex.
> Can you revert to original solution?

Don't worry. Michele, you can choice between sed or ex
simply by editing some of the first lines in Makefile:

either
EXMODE=SED
or
EXMODE=EX

The path is wired at the beginning of e3.asm
%ifdef EX
 %define USE_EX_NO_SED
 %define EX_PATH '/usr/bin/ex'
%else
 %undef USE_EX_NO_SED
 %define SEDPATH '/bin/sed'
%endif

Default is USE_EX_NO_SED with SEDPATH=='/bin/sed'
If you have forgotten how it is compiled: the helptext will tell
what's going on:
:<other cmd> pipe buffer through 'sed'

BTW, I've just tested: e3 does also nicely use sed from lineo's BUSYBOX.

At last: Adrian Bunk suggested using gzexe instead of upx compressor,
so in fact next e3 stays inside 8 kilobyte :-)

Cheers,
Albrecht