Re: [mu TECH] Problem installing on a IBM Thinkpad 360... well, really I can't install at all!

From: Vesa-Pekka Palmu (vessu@dlc.fi)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 17:17:38 CET

> > I have successfully installed mu on IBM Thinkpad 360, only mine
> > had 8mb of ram to start with, but other than X being liiiitlleee slow,
> > it works like dream. I think that you should try that
> > muUMSDcompressed installation thingy, because other people
> > say that it is the only 100% way to install with only 4mb of ram.
>
> How did you install it?
> I tried only the UMDOS way... nothing else

Well My first installation was from HD to UMSDOS and form
UMSDOS to ext2, because 9r6 whic was the current version that
time didnät support direct HD to ext2 install, so time went past,
and my pal was working in IBM side-office here in Finland, and
they packed a buch of old laptops to be nonated to Liethua (I hope
that I got that name right) and they "salvage" a new HD and a new
ram chip for me.

After the UMSDOS to ext2 clone I deleted the MSDOS install and
got rid of the FAT partition, so that I cuold make more room on that
170mb HD.

So at that time mu 11r2 was the current installation and and I
reinstalled it from HD to UMSDOS in the new HD and have been
happy since ;)

> > Good luck, and if you run in problems just e-mail me...
> >
> > > there should be now problems with the 360 -- some ppl even run openbsd
> > > on this plant (at 20mb ram), just reporting of x being a little slow.
> >
> > Well X _IS_ slow, but how the hell accyally needs a GUI??? I use
> > my laptop mainly for writing, so the 640X480X16 LCD display is fine
> > for it...
> >
> > And if you like I can give you some advice on how to make the mu
> > boot faster on that laptop (and I even can post a kernel with APM if
> > you like)
>
> mmhhhh... that's interesting... thank you!

I will upload it soon to my home-space on a server here in finland,
and when I do that I will post a ink to this message group.

Registered Linux user number 189403
Registered Linux machines 83873 & 83874

"We are the Windows. Your life as you knew it is over. Your biological and
technological identities will be removed from our own. stability is irrelevant.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

Vesa-Pekka Palmu AKA Depili
E-mail: depili@sci.fi
ICQ#: 12379430