Re: Problems with Mulinux-9r5 - Can you help me?

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer (khz@snafu.de)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 00:51:42 CET

On Die, 16 Jan 2001 you wrote:
> Michele Andreoli wrote:
> > In muLinux, the big problem is the bzip2 compressor: maybe the design
> > is not perfect. It take mega and mega of RAM when uncompress.
> >
> > One way to solve the problem, should be to introduce a new model (mu
> > -i), with two floppy, boot simply gzipped.
>
> This would be great. The two floppy is there anyways. I had to use it
> before, because there are computers which are not stable booting from
> 1.7M disks. But two 1.4M Disks have 2.8M entirely. That is more than
> enough to use gzip instead of bzip.

You are perfectly right but still I would like to again mention our good
old wish of having a solid one-floppy muLinux AND the possibility to
enhance it by using addons.

Michele, do you see any chance of offering *both* a one floppy and a
two floppies solution - without administrative overhead for you?

We discussed that a while ago and it ended somewhere in the area of
"Oh, my god, I will never be able to support two different models
of muLinux simultaneously, I just do not have the time for this!"

It would be best if we found a way to keep the good old 1-disk-muLinux
but still offer the two-disks solution for people who prefer that way
or who have problems with 1.7M disks. (Perhaps a skript could help you
in the administrative job?)

Best greetings,

Karl-Heinz <fighting against windmills :) >

--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer
Senior Software Engineer