Re: DEL Key

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 15:13:44 CET

FRANZ wrote:

> I got a problem on the other computer – 486 SX. The key DEL doesn't work.
> When I press it and INSERT, HOME, END, UP and DOWN, appears ~~~~~~~. The
> problem is because I make the wrong install?

A proper explanation of this stuff in is the Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO
that comes with many big linux distributions and is available on various
websites.

If you do "setup -f keyboard" in mulinux (I think that's right - look in
/setup/cnf for a word beginning with "key" if it's not) you get a choice
of keymaps, and if you are lucky there is one that corresponds to your
keyboard. Even if it does, though, it might not make the keys do the
things you want them to. In that case, Michele has provided a file
called something like /etc/keys.conf in which you can put your own
descriptions of what you want particular keys to do. That file contains
comments and examples that might get you started.

Good luck.

Stephen Isard