Re: about 1722K floppy disk problem?

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer (khz@snafu.de)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 08:52:22 CET

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 you wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I am new to this maillist.

Nice to 'meet' you. :)

> I want to build a system on floppy.
> Because the fault 1.44MB is too small,
> I want 1.722MB or more. I do the following things,
> #fdformat /dev/fd0H1722

Which 'fdformat' program are you using?

The fdformat I know uses slightly different
parameters and needs a running 'fdread' TSR program
to be able to format 1722 floppies:

   fdread
   fdformat A: /F:172 X:2 Y:

You may obtain further information on 'Files' section of muSamba:

   file:/home/khz/homepage/Knoors/index.html#Files

(There you can also download a tested and working FDFORMAT.ZIP.)

> #cat /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /dev/fd0
> #rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/fd0
> #rdev -r /dev/fd0 49552
> Then I boot the system using floppy.
> The console print:
> Then reboot again. Why my floppy can not boot up
> the system?

Sorry, I don't know, but did you have a look at the HOWTO?

    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/

Karl-Heinz