Re: To refuse going to Firenze??? (was: To trash the FAQ?)

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 12:26:23 CET

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 09:08:40AM +0100, Karl-Heinz Zimmer nicely wrote:
> > public italian is not so good, because I carry a regional
> > inflexion (a common problem in Italy).
>
> You mean your pronounciation has kind of an accent?

Yes: the accent of Southern Italy, because I lived until 18th,
here. My inflexion appairs only if I'm irritated or under pressure.
To speak in a public meeting at Firenze, the native land of modern
italian language (Dante, etc ...) is something that can put me
under high pressure.

> In Germany there are several tribes united in the state (surely
> it is the same in Italy) and some of us are proud of their accent
> while others try to hide it.
>
> Example: when listening to people from Swabia you will allmost
> allways notice that they do NOT try to hide their Swabian accent
> and they are right: WHY SHOULD THEY?

I understand. But I'm so coward to try to hide it.

> In fact they are not interested in seeing if you are a so-called
> 'good Speaker' but they will listen to you carefully and be happy
> to meet you - not because they are looking for eloquent people
> but because they want to meet Michele Andreoli!

As far the dimension of my dictionary is concerned, I'm a good speaker,
and also a funny speaker, but the accent still remains.

Michele

--
In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen