Re: mu105.zip available now for testing only

From: BOB GOODWIN (w2bod@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 13:41:29 CET

After a week of messing around I have almost got Winsor's
copy of mu105.zip working on the old '486.

I transferred the 17 meg file using Minicom at 38,400k with
zmodem, about 90 minutes. Higher speeds worked but produced
some errors and I wasn't certain they were being corrected?
Of course zmodem refused to work until I obtained the latest
version [lrzsz-0.12.18-1] I could find and installed it in
both boxes? Once done it works slick and I have a separate
config file in minicom for serial port transfers. The best I
could do with Windows Direct Connection in the past was
9600k?

I also had to install another hard drive formatted for DOS
6.22 and obtained the latest pkunzip for dos, another
adventure in software installation since the C drive had
only 5 meg's allotted to DOS. I had squeezed RH-5.2 into
about 160 meg's on a 200 meg drive. Drive D is 250 megs.

Now when I start [mu105] Linux the boot process quits with
the following message extracted from /var/log/dmesg -

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
 hdb: hdb1
UMSDOS Beta 0.6 (compatibility level 0.4, fast msdos)
Mounting root
VFS: Mounted root (umsdos filesystem).
Unable to open initial console.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: I am not sure my DOS installation is perfect since it
is made up of files I extracted from a set of OEM disks that
insists on reformatting the drive in the setup process. I am
contemplating redoing that next which will require
reconstructing everything. I've lost count of how many times
I've reformatted and installed stuff on the old '486 in the
last week!

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin - Durant, Florida

Red Hat Linux release 7.0