Re: ram manager

From: Dumas Patrice (dumas@centre-cired.fr)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 19:19:44 CET

Michele Andreoli a écrit :

> kind of ramdisk.
> I explained that in the list, time ago.

I knew that, and that's because of that feature that I thought it could be
possible to have a not cloned mulinux running.

> You forget an important point: 386 with 4M stops with "can't fork()"
> very quickly, after boot! They aren't able to run anything, so they
> can't run the command that unpack in the way you explained :-(

zut ! :-(.
But there is something I don't understand. Does it happens even when the root
file tree isn't in ram, but on a floppy ? That't quite strange... What does
ash fill the memory with ?

> If you plan to do that with scripts, you have no hope. CAN'T FORK
> will be the result. The only solution is to write the /linuxrc in C.

It wouldn't be suficient, as after the boot a lot of shell scripts would be
called.

Does someone know a way to restrict the memory linux sees, so that I can test
with my box with plenty of RAM what it happens in boxes with low memory ?

Pat