Re: Ease of installation

From: José Luis Gómez Dans (j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 15:14:57 CET

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 02:25:31AM +0100, Angel Martin Alganza wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At 00:48 14/11/00 +0100, you wrote:
> >What kind of problem you got making the floppy disk?
>
> 1. Many errors during floppy creation on several different boxes and using
> many, many different floppies (even different brands). Just the one box I
> mentioned (Windows Me) seems to do it well enough all the time with most
> floppies.

        Be more specific about the errors. I don't know what OS you use,
and whether you have any config problems with it (for instance, if you
have a linux kernel with supermount, using the mulinux script doesn't
work too well. Should this go in the docs, by the way?). Again, note
that your floppy might be refusing to read/write 1772k floppies. you
might want to use the option that has uses 1.44M floppies instead (OK,
you need an extra floppy, but it should work on legacy equipment).

> 2. Floppies don't boot properly in the target boxes (a i486 and a iP5).
> Sometimes with a LI...... message during LILO boot. Sometimes with an error
> message further on (something about unpacking the floppy... sorry, but I
> didn't wright it down).

        These errors are probably due to the floppies being knackered.
It probably is a case of your drives (the ones you used to create the
images) being daft and not doing their work.
> >only *InstallerDisk*, who is 1440k, a normal DOS floppy disk.
>
> Where can I find it? I haven't really see anything about it until now; and
> I really have read through the documentation several times.

        I don't know how to do that from dos, but the ./mu -i script
does all that for you in linux-based systems. There's nothing
particularly magic about it: all it is is a wrapper to format your
floppy and then a dd of the images...

Jose

--
José L Gómez Dans			PhD student
Tel: +44 114 222 5582			Radar & Communications Group