Status report, progress, ...

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 22:17:52 CET

Hi folks,

(Extracted from the next RELNOTES)

rsh
-----
I added the rsh client, and the in.rshd daemon, as suggested
by Mr. Jochen Cichon

nameserver
-----------

I'm now adding the dnrd nameserver, as suggest by Mr. Jan Leveren.
Unfortunately, it do not compile in libc5: it also requires
thread libraries, etc; therefore, I compiled it statically.
It is big, 385140 byte!

In despite of that, this utility (DNRD) looks very smart and easy
to configure: it use primarily /etc/hosts as database, and can
act also as cache-server. I think it can be useful for small
home-made networking, such a school lab, etc.

The "named" binary is 165824 byte, but is to complex to
configure. Comments and suggestion are appreciated.

time server
-----------

I implemented also a new setup: setup/rdate, as suggested
by Mr. <heezeman@yahoo.com.au>. It is able to
syncronize the time and date using a remote host (RFC868 protocol).
It use a very small command: rdate.

new commands
------------

added a lot of new commands: fuser, setleds, cdda2wav (it convert
audio CD track to .wav), nslookup, formail, md5sum, grep/find,
diff/patch, etc.
I'm moving something from far addons towards SRV and WKS.

a new lynx

I added a full-colored lynx 2.8, a monster sized about 810344!

Michele

--
"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen