Re: [mu PROGRESS] mugetty

From: Dumas Patrice (dumas@centre-cired.fr)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 14:46:32 CET

Hi,
First, a little question about the mugetty script itself, where can I find
information on the timeout command, or the source ?

I tried mugetty and mu-ras with a windows box and a mulinux box with a
winmodem. The two worked well, I had a remote mullinux session in
hyperterminal, what a thrill... Then I was able to browse the html pages in
mulinux with internet explorer. Oh, I had a strange feeling while doing
that... A kind of transgressing forbidden things. A little, technical, and
clever thing cooperating perfectly with a big, opaque and unstable monster...
(at that time, my windows is getting more and more near to the
reinstallation, it doesn't even recognize the processor...).

Notice that I was able to use mugetty with hyperterminal, after setting the
terminal to emulate to be TTY, and also after 3 tries, the first leaving the
win modem screwing and no connection, the second leading to a NO CARRIER.
Maybe the establishment of a communication should be eased with another
timeout ? I am definitively not an expert on this subject, though.

What I did in the hyperterminal : I first issued ATX, then I tried ATD and
ATD@, but
I don't remember well which one was better for establishing a communication.
(According to a modem's manual, and if I understood well ATD@ was better, but
I don't remember in practice.). I could establish a connection with another
terminal than TTY, but there was incompatibility with ASCII codes
(I believe). Maybe the success is related to this @ (but maybe not).

another thing, the first time, I foolishly started mu-ras before mu-getty. So
the terminal received stanges ATA... I know, I should have read the doc more
carefully ;-) it is in. But maybe a feature in mugetty would be to try to
detect wether the /dev/ttySx is allready used by another application (but
please not like in windows, where this error message is the only one used,
for every ind of possible error with modem ;-). I am interested if someone
knows how to do this. Does it require some C programming, or can it be done
with the shell ?

Pat