Re: An ambitious idea

From: José Luis Gómez Dans (j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 11:42:54 CET

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 07:12:42PM +0100, Michele Andreoli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It's the time to improve the the 'client side' in muLinux.
> It is better to split the basic functions in muLinux in two
> parts: server and workstation.

        Great idea. My customization of Mulinux is done in the server
basis. By the way, I am about to add novell printer server support, but
don't want to test it here as most of the network runs under novell and
I don't want to get kicked out off here as of yet :) Whenver there is
any progress in that front, I'll let you know (novell printer server
support is easy. File sharing is hairier, though)

> Maybe, it is concenptually inelegant, because it is difficult to
> decide if a such component belongs 'server' or 'workstation' concept,

        That is probably true, but having a pragmatic approach might be
useful here. In the case of mulinux/server I see it as "any program that
can be installed by one person so that many can benefit from it
remotely". Now that I think of it, an MP3 streamer is just what we need
in this lab :) Anyway, that's just how I see it, but as you rightly say,
this can be a tougher question. :)

> The old functionalities, historycal, fake and romantic functionalies,
> also-known-as "rustic", still remains in the BASE floppy disk,
> as *memento* about human presumption, but they are shut-down automatically
> when other addons are loaded.

        Romantic? X-))

> P.S: anycase, the "Avogadro Number" belongs Physics of Chemistry?
> Ah, saperlo!

        One of my teachers used to say that it's all Science, and hence,
it's all Art. There!

        José

--
José L Gómez Dans			PhD student