Re: 486 box

Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 00:27:35 CET

Richard wrote:
> I am going to have to get windows9x on it as well to be compatible with
> the rest of the world.

Hi. I don't think that is neccessary any more. If I understand you
correctly, you are saving up for a state of the art computer. That
provided, a modern big Linux gives you a better desktop (be it Gnome or
KDE) than Windows, and Star Office (which is cheaper than WinWord and free
for non-comercial users, if I remember correctly) gives you compatibility
with WinWord. And a few other things, I believe.

It may be swutting slow on my computer, but on what's in the shops now it
will be fine.

> I have found that win3.11 is faster than mulinux, so I would prefer to use
> that if possible. But I don't know that win3.11 is as good at networking,
> and it certainly isn't as good at security.

Yes, it is quick, as far as it goes. But it got on my nerves that it
doesn't do multitasking. It can keep track of more than one program, but
it only runs one of them at any given time.

Somewhat off-topic, but hello everybody, I'm back on the list!

Mark