Re: [mu TECH] 'counter' a scripting util... / fitting names

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 20:26:36 CEST

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 11:45:01AM -0400, Alfie Costa nicely wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2000, at 13:24, Michele Andreoli <mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk> wrote:
>
> > > So, a little progress, but maybe there is some other unused name out
> > > there that is better still? Series, sequence, queue, vlad, (the
> > > impaler, after 'Count' Dracula), order, step, trot, xeno, (after the
> > > Greek Philosopher)... of those 'queue' is nice, and has all the right
> > > connotations, but is difficult to spell;
> >
> > Mmmm ... You are a E. Rostand's fan!
>
> Don't know. I have two editions of Cyrano de Bergerac, one a translation, the
> other in French. I can't read French, and have only read a few bits of the
> translation so far -- it seemed interesting; if it was a busy day, that might
> be why I didn't read the whole thing then. Whatever the case, I haven't read
> enough to understand E. Rostand's connection to the various suggested names
> this script. Please, can you explain?

The right reference is for the Cyrano, as you argutely guessed. When someone
told to Cyrano: "Monsieur: your nose is ... is .... big!", Cyrano answered
with a fantastical series of synomins and periphasis around the
adjective 'big' (if some francais guy can report the text, please!).

In the same way, you expanded "counter" in "Series, sequence, queue, vlad, (the
impaler, after 'Count' Dracula), order, step, trot, xeno" , etc.

Michele