re: Re: Simple backup question

From: Mark Roberts (mu@manumark.de)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 00:32:48 CEST

Hi Enno,

> Another Problem is, that i had to backup via LAN. After a while, dd
> crashed and i had to use tar and winzip. Why via LAN? I had to backup my
> laptop in order to send it back (guarantee). Dd crashed with
> "I/O-Error".
>
> Enno Welbers

I know this is a silly answer, but it might be true nonetheless. If the
remote file system gets full, the error message will get lost (since it
occurs on the remote machine). So dd will say "I/O error" although it
ought to say "disk full".

But I gather you have sent the machine back by now? Good luck it comes
back in one piece.

Mark