Re: Compiling 2.0.36 kernel under Redhat 6.2

From: Archie.Johnson@atl.bluecross.ca
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 16:32:45 CEST

For the record...

Apparently the egcs compiler that comes standard with RH6.x should not be used
to compile 2.0.x kernels, but rather gcc 2.7.2 should be used (as per Linux
FAQ). Here's what I did to install gcc 2.7.2: (Not necessarily the
best/easiest way)

1. Downloaded gcc272 package from debian (from potato release)
2. Converted the deb package to rpm using Alien from
      http://www.kitenet.net/programs/alien/
    (Alien complained that I did not have dpkg installed, but still
     successfully converted to rpm)
3. Installed gcc272 rpm. This does not overwrite egcs compiler.
4. Modified Makefile in top-level kernel source directory, changing gcc
    to gcc272 as follows:

    HOSTCC =gcc272
    CC =$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc272 -D__KERNEL__ -I$(HPATH)

5. Followed usual instructions for compiling kernel. Also followed
    mulinux's instructions for configuring kernel.

Just a note to mulinux folk's... Great work... but I couldn't find a copy of
your kernel source tree anywhere. It would be nice to have a copy with your
config options plus any patches that may have been installed (ntfs?). Even just
a copy of your .config file plus the patches would be great.

Thanks, Archie