Re: [azugaldia@retemail.es: mulinux feedback]

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 01:05:17 CEST

On 9 Jun 2000, at 8:46, Jef Knoors <mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk> wrote:

> seems to me that your laptop has only 3Mb memory, instead of the minimun of
> 4Mb ?

I have a 4 meg laptop, but muLinux only seems to be able to see 3 megs of it.
Or at least that's what the "free" command says**. With swap set up on the
laptop's hard disk, it does run, even in 3 megs***. So the trick is to get a
swap disk working, which can be a bit of a chicken and egg problem...

(**I've have been trying to learn why it can't see all 4 meg, or rather how
Linux finds memory when it boots up.)

(***Assuming, of course that the 'free' command is telling the truth.)

If Linux is no good for Bob's laptop, it may be of interest to know that the
original Minix has recently had its license changed so it is something like
freeware now. Minix is supposed to be able to run in 640K. Alas, there is no
such thing as 'muMinix', so that would be more work to configure.