Re: [mu TECH] terminal speed

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 00:27:39 CEST

On 29 May 2000, at 16:01, Mike Johnson <mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk> wrote:

> Look at memory usage in the two cases and see if a larger
> buffer is being used in the high baud rate. If so, then that will show you
> what trade-offs you have to make...
>
> In other words, I agree so long as you have enough memory.

Haven't checked the memory usage, (as far as buffer sizes go), yet. I'm not
sure where to look for whether the buffer size is larger. Would the 'free'
command do this?

Informal results so far... tested on a 4 meg laptop, in which mu only sees 2.7
megs, so really it's less than 3 megs, though it uses a 16 meg swap file. It
is a sluggish system that shows bottlenecks well. mu seems noticeably faster
at 115200bps, and even faster at 230400bps. Not only is the console faster,
but for some reason there is less swapping to disk, which speeds up the system
as a whole. For example, the 'ps' command is a lot quicker...

At 345600bps however, mu hangs with 6 'Init Id: c1: respawning too fast :
disabled for 5 minutes' errors.