Antwort:Re: Antwort:Re: Too little floppy or too big file?

From: Martin_Doering@mn.man.de
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 07:36:30 CEST

Michele wrote:
>The problem is the 1722K technology: if you tell me how to >format in NT at 1.7M, I will create an install.bat for NT.
Sorry - I didn't tell enough: I don't want to start muLinux on such an NT box. I just want to get a way to get the install
disks/data to another machine, where I can install/clone them.
The NT boxes are the only machines with network access. And
The distributed files are too big to put on a floppy. So: If
these files in the end go on a (however formatted) floppy,
I think there should be a way to make this easier.

>There is only another solution: a 1.4M archive (with rawrite), with
>the only scope to boot Linux, to format 1.7M and to transfere images
>from user's harddisk to floppy disks. This little muLinux system should be >smart enough to install every future release, being update rarely. >This, in fact, true for DOSTOOLS.zip
Yes. Good idea. If the first floppy would fit on 1,44 MB, endeed all
problems are resolved. Additionally this would free us from other
OSs which are just needed for install. This has nothing to do with filesystems. Even I install from muLinux
directly, I would also be able to use an UMSdos Filesystem. But I
would not need the DOSTOOLS stuff. Just, if I would like to use
loadlin. For me, I think booting from a floppy in the end is faster,
than first starting DOS or Win95 and then switching to another OS.
But other people may see this different.

PS: You are my new god of shell programming ;-)

Martin