[mu ANNOUNCE ] IDENTD protocol implementation

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 15:58:44 CEST

I checked rfc1413 for IDENTD protocol. It is very easy to
implement with netcat and can me circuvented by a baby.

It run on TCP port 113 and, basically, it work in this way

It receive, for example, :

                23, 1025

(indicating a TELNET(23) incoming connection, from remote port 1025)
and send something like:

        23 , 1025 : USERID : UNIX : craxi

indicating the server software (UNIX) and local user (craxi).
If error, it send:

        23, 1025 : ERROR : NO-USER

or
        23, 1025 : ERROR : INVALID_PORT

Implementation required also a `netstat` script; I realized it with
only shell commands, hacking the /proc/net/tcp kernel interface.
This script require a lot of hexadecimal-to-decimal conversion,
implemented in the usual rustic way.

Because this netstat requires to individuate user-name also, it use
`who` command (on a addon EXT). In the case `who` is not available,
identd answer "craxi", as masquerade user. You can customize this
value, editing the file /usr/sbin/in.identd. Identd run also with
only base floppy-disk.

Finally, identd run via INIT; then it requires a "setup -f server".
IDENTD daemon will appairs in muLinux v8r2b, soon.

Michele