Re: [mu TECH] what's ASP?

From: Tom Poindexter (tpoindex@nyx.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 16:39:12 CET

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 01:33:56PM +0100, Michele Andreoli wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 08:55:30AM +0100, Gerhard Thimm nicely wrote:
> > The idea behind asp (active server pages) is
> > cgi-programming-in-one-file.
>
> Oh, I start understanding. A sort of PHP3? My point is: CGI can substitute?
> I think yes, if one has complete access to OS.

The Neowebscript-SA server in the Tcl Add-on can do 'asp-like' processing.
Of course, you write your application code in Tcl, embedded in the
web pages. For a simple example, start the Neowebscript server, and
access the server with a browser. The server recognizes
<nws>.....</nws> tags in html pages. Any text between these tags gets
interpreted with Tcl's 'subst' command, which will replace $xxxx with
the value of a Tcl variable, and [ ] will cause a Tcl script to be
interpreted. E.g.

By default, Tcl commands are executed in a 'safe' interpreter (scripts
cannot exec other programs, cannot delete files, etc.) If you want
that behavior, you can modify the conf/init.tcl script to add 'alias commands'
in the safe interpreter that execute commands is the master interpreter.
E.g., you can have a 'exec' alias that first checks for a valid list of
OS commands, and only execute that command if it is part of the permitted list.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex@nyx.net