[mu ANNOUNCE] TeX addon for muLinux

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 15:26:23 CET

I realized a reduced version or LaTex/TeX typesetting for muLinux v8r0b,
that will be release soon, in the form of standard addon called TEX.
It used two ramdisks (ram9 and ram10), as GCC does, because it is 5M
(muLinux ramdisks are 4.6M)

Hope it is useful.

Michele

---- from /usr/doc/help/TeX ------------

 _____ __ __
|_ _|__\ \/ /
  | |/ _ \\ /
  | | __// \
  |_|\___/_/\_\ for UNIX-like operating system.

This is TeTex (version 0.4), Tex typesetting system for Linux.

TeTeX was mainly set up by Thomas Esser,
te@informatik.uni-hannover.de, whose work heavily bases on Karl
Berry's Kpathsea library, his web2c-package and the
associated packages as dvipsk etc.

The complete version of TeTex is about 45 Megabytes; the muLinux
version is about 5M. This means I removed a such amount of files,
fonts, packages, etc that the _list_ of missing exceeds in length
the size of Linux kernel sources.

Olny options I added is the AMStex, the "American Mathematical Society"
formatting rules for formulas and mathematical symbols typesetting.

I think this (very poor) addon can be used as tool for emergency
typesetting, if you work as sturm-reporter in some war-zone, around
the world, and wish urgently to rewrote the "Book 8th, Conic's Section"
of Apollonio di Perga (never found; I'm curiousus).

Sample files
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please, look in the directory /usr/tex/demo. In the subdir tex you
find a lot of tex files, also useful to understand as LaTeX basically
works:

        # make.test # process tex -> dvi
        # make.post # process dvi -> ps

How to use
~~~~~~~~~~

Process a .tex file
-------------------

                # latex file.tex

This will produce file.dvi + an extraordinary amount of errors
messages, relative to missing fonts. No problem: LaTeX is smart
enough to recovery itself in acceptable way.

Preview a DVI file
------------------

                # xdvi file.dvi

This requires XWindow active.

Convert in Postscript

                # dvips -f < file.dvi > file.ps

How to print

I added also dvilj, dvilj4l converters for HP Laserjet, but seems
to work very poorly. Please, transport the .ps or .dvi file in
another system, and print it.

- m.a.