Re: [OT] 4 surprises

From: Renato (renato@jfrj.gov.br)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 20:03:45 CET

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 15/03/00 at 17:19 Michele Andreoli wrote:

>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>Ave. Continuing the enourmous off-topics,
>the literal translation is, more-or-less, "the farmer Arepo work with
>wheels(rotas)", i.e. it plough. But I'm not totally sure if "Arepo" is
>really a person name. Maybe, Arepo-Areponis?

Sator could be translated as planter, sower (with the probably meaning of farmer), but also as creator, as in Jupiter caelestum sator.
Arepo is definitely a name. Not in dictionary.
Tenet is the 3rd singular person of the pres. indic. of the verb to have but could also be to keep, to hold or to grasp.
Opera is the same as opus, work, service but could be also care or attention.
Rotas is the ablative of rota that means wheel but also car or chariot.
Make your choices.

renato