RE: [setup] X failure

From: John Rowland (john_rowland@MailAndNews.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 23:33:28 CET

>===== Original Message From jeremy@visi.com =====
>On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 12:37:03PM -0500, John Rowland wrote:
>> I attempted to run startx afterstep, then just startx for the first time
last
>> night. It failed. I checked the log file and it appeared that it was not
>> able to find a resolution that worked (I don't have access to the log file
>> right now to get the exact error wording.) I am running the following:
>>
>> Compaq Presario 2200
>> 16mb RAM
>> Cyrix MediaGX processor 180mhz
>> Linux setup to run using 1048 ram disk
>> 14" VGA monitor
>>
>> Is there something I need to do to finnesse my X setup? I would really like
>> run the X11 stuff.
>
>Any idea what your video chipset it?

I haven't opened up the case (I'm not nearby the cpu) but the spec sheet from
CPAQ website says this:

Processor: (as I mentioned before) MediaGX 180mhz
Graphics: 64-bit graphics with Direct3D, maximum non-interlaced resolution of
up to 1024 x 768 (when supported by monitor, MPEG full screen video playback

Thanks
John