Re: PizzaBox Linux

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 23:56:25 CET

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 03:31:01PM +0000, James Stevens nicely wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Though you might be interested in our new Linux distribution - PizzaBox
> Linux - we called it that because we built a prototype in a 9" Pizza Box
> - check it out http://www.kyzo.com/
>
> Its is a small Linux / Samba / Apache based File, Print & CD Server
> distribution which includes full web administration, on-line manual,
> hardware monitoring and APM in a total of 6.1Mb - you can download a
> (free) fully working version on three floppy disks (install + 2 data).
>
> We also have a commercial version which boots & runs from Flash-ROM
> (Compact Flash or Disk-on-chip).

Hello James, sorry for fracture english.

I download PizzaBox with some difficulty. I like much PizzaBox site:
it look more professional.

Looking in your system, I was very impressed to see a so large amount
of CGI scripts using only Bash and AWK! I think, PERL should do the
work much better.

I think you have to use bzip2, not gzip, for floppy #2 and #3. This
will create a lot of disk space for new binaries, as Perl.

What is difficult to accept in a evaluation copy is the irrimediable
attitude to format all user's hard-disk at start-up. To evaluate the
system without a scratch PC is not possible!

I realized, in the past, a similar system for a Japanese company,
which run in three floppy, like yours, but using 1722K technology.
This system exand in RAM in 30M: your expand in 6M. A lot of
useful disk space. This system is installed, super-compressed,
in 4M, on a DiskOnChip m-system of 8M. There is 4M free on the chip!

It boot and run also from CDROM, with Apache, NFS, FTP, DiskQuotas,
PCMCIA, 10-15 ethernet drivers, full SCSI support, RAID, PrintServer
and FaxServer, Samba, Backup/Restore etc, like yours.

But your web-administration tool is insuperable: your usage of
Javascript code is ispiring some improvement in mine. Thanks!

Michele