Re: [mu TECH] How identify the startup hard-disk

From: Clive Wright (clive_wright@telinco.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 00:15:09 CET

Michele Andreoli wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 11:28:39PM +0000, Clive Wright nicely wrote:
> > Michele Andreoli wrote:
> > >

> > > I need a dos command which use pipe and produce something like
> > > a boot prompt parameter unused=....
> > >
> > > dir | the_program >> loadlin.cfg
> > >
> > The attached filter.com file will do what you ask, at least
> > under dos 6.22.
>
> Thanx, I will test. I hope, you do not assumed a particular
> DOS speaking-language in your command.

The programme uses a space counter and is therefore language
independent, but from Renato's reply it would appear that it
will not work with windows 98. Not finding the requisite
number of spaces (16) would account for the reported hang. I
would like to have used the "end of file" character ctrl Z
as a unique marker but
unfortunately dos' pipe mechanism does not pass it to the
filter programme which leaves me wondering how "more"
recognises eof. I tried to look inside 6.22's more, only to
find that it is a self-extracting zip file that only
extracts to memory. Very strange! I could understand it for
a high value or security programme but not for a file
utility.

> I'm always in doubt when plan to add other .exe or .com in
> install.bat, because I fear virus diffusion with muLinux.

Perhaps your idea to use grep for dos may be a viable
alternative judging from the links and files that the ever
resourceful subscribers to this list have managed to find,
however when using any third party programmes how can you
assure the recipient that they are free from viral
contamination.

Clive