Re: [mu TECH] mu doesn't start at my 386

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 12:16:48 CET

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 04:49:51AM +0100, Georg Philipp Burth nicely wrote:

> I've downloaded the latest version (date 17.01.2000 - 7R8b?), put it on a
> floppy and rebooted my 386 with it. The kernel loads as I know it from
> other distributions. Then I have a problem: I choose '1 - to continue' in
> the menue and got error messages (cut & paste via a sheet of paper :-) ) :
>
> /etc/rc.lowmem: cannot fork

"Cannot fork" is what happens if memory is low. Sorry. Cannot run on
your machine. Old releases of mu was less RAM demanding. In recent releases,
I never test MU on 386/4M

> the messages before the menue comes say something about 3031040 byte free,
> 386 SX/DX and GenuineIntel - (btw: the latter I can't believe...).

You have only 3M free :-(

If your muLinux run in another PC, I suggest you to clone in UMSDOS.
Then, from DOS, pack the c:\linux directory with PKZIP; use multi-floppy
feature of pkzip and transport the floppy disks on the destination
machine.

A this point, edit loadling.cfg and change the reference to partition.

Michele