Re: [mu WIN98] Win98 Installation

From: Clive Wright (clive_wright@telinco.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 20:39:43 CET

Michele Andreoli wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 12:49:43PM -0200, Renato nicely wrote:
> > Michele,
> >
> > Windows establises an incestuous relation with the machine where it was first installed that is hard to break.Unless you have exactly the same hardware configuration it is almost impossible to transplant a previous windows installation to another computer.

<snip>

> I also tried removing system.dat and user.dat as suggest, but no
> success.

Did you find system.1st (that is {uno}st not lst) in the root directory?
As it is a hidden file it may not have been copied from your original
box.
You do need a system.dat for the gui to operate properly hence copying
/system.1st to /windows/system.dat
I am assuming file names do not change between english and italian
versions of win98.

Clive