Re: [mu SETUP] Ethernet card and mu

From: Renato (renato@jfrj.gov.br)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 20:36:32 CET

My good muLinux friends,

I was trying to make muLinux recognize my Realtek ethernet card.
Michele gave me a module rtl8139.o that made my card visible to Linux.
The procedure to install this module was manual, sent me again by my patient friend Michele:

> cd /tmp/modules/preferred
> insmod rtl...
>
> ifconfig eth0 down
> ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} up
> route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK} eth0
>
>using:
> IPADDR=192.168.1.1
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0

It worked but when I turn off my micro I lost this setting again.
Then I must find some definitive solution.

I am convinced I'm more newbie than I thought I was because I didn't manage to personalize my installation to include that module.
I tried 2 diferent paths:

1- cd /startup/modules
    unpack
    (copy rtl8139.o to directory /startup/modules)
    repack

It didn't work. When I unpack again I doesn't find my module there.
Is this /startup/modules directory the right place to put the module before repacking?

2- Trying to use mu
I copied mu, mu.inf and most of the files in mulinux-7r1.tgz (not all of them) to a floppy. Then, from muLinux:
mount /dev/fd0h1440 /a
cp -vr /a /test
cd /test
ash mu -u
I got a script error in line 57( something about not finding "in" - maybe a syntax error)

Does someone have a detailed newbie receipt on how to personalize muLinux?

Thanks in advance.

Renato Guimaraes (another brazilian muLinux fan - unfortunately not so smart :-)