[mulinux OT] mulinux-6r4.tgz un-tar problem?

From: Laudwein Andreas CE (laudwein@alpha.fh-furtwangen.de)
Date: Thu Jul 01 1999 - 12:29:12 CEST

Hi Dave,

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Dave Houghton wrote:
> I use the same here (under windows 'cause I'm to tight to buy a non
> windoze modem!) with no problems.
>
> 1. In Netscape single left click on the file you want to download brings
> up a "Warning: Security .....hazard" notice. Select "save it to disk"
> and O.K. Use the default file names and save to directory of your
> choice. Repeat for all files you want to download. This ensures that
> files are downloaded in binary form.

nope, I didn't get a warning, Netscape opened the file into the browser
window (strange characters)

> If I'm right I think that your problem is not that tar is not unpacking
> your downloads but that loadlin the dos based linux loader will not work
> in a windows protected msdos environment hence the need to restart in
> real Dos mode.

Sorry you're wrong again, the problem was indeed that Netscape corrupted
the tar archive, IE was able to detect it as a binary file, and downloaded
it "as is"

I wonder what my IE would have done, if it has recognized that there was
Linux inside this archive, but I'm pretty sure M$ will fix this bug in the
future ;-)

Laudi