RE: mulinux-6r4.tgz un-tar problem?

From: Karl Tipple (krt@odetics.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 18:24:04 CEST

Brian:

Indeed, LINUX and FAT32 are mutually incompatible. I don't
think this is any accident - in view of what has been brought
to light about Microsoft's marketing practices. What better way
to keep everybody stuck with using their stuff exclusively than
to make anyone else's stuff crash your system???

Again, my CAPS are NOT YELLING, they're BOLD lettering.

Now, with the release of Red Hat 6.0 and Caldera Open
LINUX 2.2, THOSE LINUXes DO have some sort of utilities
for reading FAT 32 files - but I don't know if that means
that those versions can now coexist with FAT 32 partitions
on the same system or not. I need to find this out, because
I ultimately want to put Win98 and LINUX on the same system
and use a boot manager to select them at boot-up. I may
simply keep to partitions of <2GB and go FAT16 to be safe.
One would merely need to keep .doc files and other non-executables
in another EXTENDED partition, thus keeping the primary (or native)
partitions free for keeping the OS and executables.

Previously, FAT 32 and LINUX could NOT coexist well on the
same box - EVEN on separate drives! Attempting to do this
could render BOTH operating systems UNBOOTABLE!

Hope this helps you and your other pen pal.

Keep in touch - did you get my last email yesterday??

Sincerely,

Karl