Re: muLinux on 286er, on laptops

From: winsor (winsor@wi.net)
Date: Fri May 21 1999 - 01:39:43 CEST

Michele Andreoli wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 10:29:35AM +0200, Multimedia Service wrote:
> > Hallo,
> >
> > it is possible to run muLinux on an 286er or 8086er PCs?
> > I 'll get a old laptop (8086) as a gift next. But I think this it not
> > possible.
> > Do someone have experience with muLinux on other labtops?
> >

> muLinux can't run on 286, because Linux can't.
>
> For 286 I know the ELKS project, but it's in very earlier stage.
> Another (historical) alternative: MINIX, by A. Tannenbaum, the
> Linus opponent. This system work well because don't recognize any
> hardware, a very special kind of eternity!

Clipped for size:

I keep tabs on Minix and in it's latest form I believe it supports X in
a very limited way.
for 8086's and 286's minix may be the very thing that saves them from
the junk pile:)er uh......but I don't think the HP48;P
and boy are those criptic boot and compiler messages fun to look at.
signed
winsor