RE: mu [SETUP] mulinux 5r7 serialbugs

From: Dave Houghton (davehoughton@g0mxw.free-online.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 15 1999 - 12:30:49 CEST

>>On Wed, May 05, 1999 at 01:57:08PM +0100, Dave Houghton wrote:
>> Michele,
>>
>> I'm probably not the first to point this out but as it stands the ports setup reports /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1 no such device and the >>ppp setup reports that you need serial enabled (use setup -f ports).
>>
>> If you use setup -m serial and then re-run ports and ppp setup everything is fine, so I suggest that you either modify your setup scripts to include insmod serial (setup -m serial) before setup ports and setup ppp.

>PPP require serial modules. In old version of muLinux, "setup ppp" also
>load "serial" module. But this "insmod serial" reset, I think, the IRQ and
>IO parameter to default, erasing what "setup port" done!

>Yes, you're right telling Setup need of some dependencies check and this
>mprovement is already in my mind. May be a required() new function in
>/setup/fun overloaded library.

>With this enhancement, "setup ppp" will rerun "setup -f port", if needed.

If you have a look at my muLinux mirror site at http://www.mulinux.free-online.co.uk/mulinux/development
you will find mulinux-5r7B.tgz which has the above forced "setup -f port" writen into "setup ppp"
(one line NO extra /setup/fun() needed). Some other minor fixes included to setup as well .

What happened to mu? it's got so many bugs in I almost had to get the exterminator's in !!
Seriously though, lot's of changes later and it all works o.k. I can now unpack, re-build, and distribute
with no problems.
All the changes are documented at the above URL.

I haven't had this much fun since the days of 8 bit Z80 based cpm hacking/programming!

As I'm like 5r7- temporarily homeless with no access to big Linux's and super computers, muLinux
is the answer to my prayers, running on my old battered 386 notebook!

Hope you find the fixes usefull.

Bye for now

Dave

*****=== Linux Is like a Penguin ------ it can't fly so it never crashes! ===*****