Extensions-addon disk

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer (khz@stardivision.de)
Date: Sun Apr 25 1999 - 14:16:52 CEST

Am 25.04.1999, 16:16:21, schrieb Michele Andreoli:

> Anycase, with this big kernel, floppy must be a little
> restructured. Creation of a EXTENSION addon is now required
> (addon #2), moving modules and lynx on them:

> BOOT+ROOT+USR mounted in /startup, / and /usr
> EXT mounted /usr/local
> X11 mounted in /usr/X11R6
> GCC mounted in /gcc

> The PATH variable should be arranged giving high priority to addons:

> /usr/local/bin, /usr/X11R6/bin, /usr/bin, /bin

> In this way, issuing "mc" with only first floppy loaded will start
> "pion"; issuing "mc" with EXT floppy loaded, will start ... the true
> MC!
> Floppy #1 still remains the hacking floppy, with rustic and emergency
> tools.

> What you think?

It will be a somewhat uncomfortable solution: until that change it has
been enough to carry around TWO floppies:

1. the muLinux floppy
2. a copy of it (just in case it has a defect)

In the future we will have to carry around FOUR floppies and that's to
much for just putting it into a the pocket of a shirt. :-(

Do you think, it is possible to compose that new Floppy #1 in such a
way that it will be really usefull for emergency AND diagnosis?

Still hoping the best, :-))

Karl-Heinz