Re: Install-Problems

From: Jens Puruckherr (puru@elbvilla.de)
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 20:05:31 CEST

Johannes Niess wrote:

> The pcmia memory might be slow to access. Do you remember the problems on
> old Pentium boards that can't cache more that 64MB? Perhaps you have
> something similar.
>
> UMSDOS is not the fastest filesystem. How slow is your hard disk? Given the
> size and age I would estimate a speed of 300 kB/sec. If you swap a lot...

what else should I do?? There is only one HD and I can't reformat it without
running linux...

> You are at a point were every KB of memory counts. Try to build your own,
> smaller kernel. If don't need your laptop for 2 weeks, you can try
> compiling on the laptop. Otherwise you need your faster desktop...

It's clear, the laptop isn't the optimal system. Maybe, RAM and HD are not the
fastest. But shouldn't it be possible to install the RAM-mulinux via "clone" at
the harddisk??? Thats the only thing I want! When I've got a running
mulinux-laptop, then I can start experiments like buliding new kernels etc.

the riddle is going on......

Jens Puruckherr