mulinux [MISC] Program suggestion

From: Johannes Niess (j.niess@uni-bonn.de)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 16:50:38 CET

Hi,

For quiet computers I am missing hdparm -S from mulinux. Especially if you
use RAM only you want to spin down harddisks. On old computers you can even
disable the fan in the power supply without generating too much heat. I did
not look at the code, but IMO just writing to one port is needed to spin
down IDE drives. This should take some 100 Byte code which should be
availible on the boot/root/usr disk.
I would appreciate it, if someone looks at the hdparm code and strips it
down ruthlessly. Or perhaps writing a script for dd'ing directly to /dev/kmem?
Thank you

Johannes Niess