Re: [mu TECH] mp3 player info

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer (khz@stardivision.de)
Date: Fri Jan 29 1999 - 09:15:36 CET

> Please, Karl-Heinz, explain me: MP3 is related to layer-3, yes?

Mpeg3 stands for Mpeg 1 layer 3. What Mpeg3 (also known as mp3 because
of the file extension name .mp3) is: Mpeg3's are layered and extremely
compressed audio data that do not lose sound quality due to this
compression, therefore delivering you a song or sound close to
laserdisc quality with a readable computer file being fairly small in
size.
> Can I cancell stuff concerning other layers, without damnage?

Sorry, i do not know! :-(

> Can You tell me an URL for an mp3 (small) sound-file for
> testing purpose?

See: MPEG LAYER 3 SOUNDS
http://www.eskimo.com/~miyaguch/mp3con.html

and get: uranus.mp3 (118kB, 15sec)
http://www.iocon.com/cgi-bin/iget.cgi?url=animan/uranus&type=mp3
the file should sound like this:
   Al 5000: You'll have to return to your sleeping
            chambers. Resuscitation isn't scheduled
            until we're close to Pluto.
   Yakko: Sorry. If I sleep any more, I'll be close to goofy.
   Wakko: As long as we don't get too close to Uranus.
   Dot: I thought we discussed cutting that line.

Hope, this helps.